Hello Guest
TMI alert--
« on: November 25, 2012, 05:51:34 AM »
sooo pretty sure I have a yeast infection (oh the joys week 6 of pregnancy bring!)  
I used to get them regularly and would take an antibiodic for it that would clear it up in a day.. well thats out of the question.
I am going to the doctor on friday but any suggestions ladies?
Re: TMI alert--
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 06:06:00 AM »
3 day clotrimazole.  You can get it OTC and it is safe for the baby.  I get chronic yeast infections and checked with my doctor while we were trying to conceive.  You can even take it prophylactically if you're prone to the yeasties, that's what I've been doing.  The recommendation is 2x/week but I have been getting by on less than that.
If all you can find is miconazole (Monistat), it will still get the job done and is ok for the baby, but in my experience clotrimazole is more effective.  For some reason miconazole is more common in drug stores around here, I have to shop around to find clotrimazole.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 07:09:57 AM »
I thought antibiotics gave you yeast infections. I would call your doctor before Friday they can tell you what you can use to cure the infection.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
I thought antibiotics gave you yeast infections. I would call your doctor before Friday they can tell you what you can use to cure the infection.
Yeah, an  antibiotic or an antifungal? Antibiotics would only affect bacteria and encourage yeast (due to lack of competition). Lots of live yoghourt.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 09:00:34 AM »
This sounds weird, but yogurt. My first yeast infection, my mom handed me a tampon, and some yogurt in a bowl and said "Use your imagination." So, I stuck some yogurt up there and after a day of that, it was gone. The bacterial cultures in yogurt are apparently similar to that of the vagina, so they can balance things out.
Antibiotics always give me yeast infections. Are you sure that's what your doctor is giving you for them?
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 02:31:32 PM »
Since this is your first yeast infection of your pregnancy, I'd call up the nurseline today or first thing on Monday to see what they recommend.  It sounds like you're pretty familiar with yeast infections, and just need advice on what to do.  
Maybe it's just me, but I'm be hesitant to stick much of anything in my vagina now that m growing a baby...
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 07:39:26 PM »
I had one at 6 weeks. OB told me to get the Monistat 7. Cleared right up!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 07:50:18 PM »
This sounds weird, but yogurt. My first yeast infection, my mom handed me a tampon, and some yogurt in a bowl and said "Use your imagination." So, I stuck some yogurt up there and after a day of that, it was gone. The bacterial cultures in yogurt are apparently similar to that of the vagina, so they can balance things out.
Antibiotics always give me yeast infections. Are you sure that's what your doctor is giving you for them?
yes its called fluconazol and i was mistaken when i said antibiodic, I believe its called an antifungal ??