Hello Guest
Allergic to just one rat?
« on: August 28, 2012, 06:42:36 AM »
Hey all, anyone suffered from rat allergies? My roommate and I have 2, I am allergic to hers, and she is allergic to mine. Any tips on how to fight it? I already take the strongest Allegra sold.. and am not allergic to any other animals. It's definitely the dander. I can't stop sneezing and blowing my nose after handling her for a second. Help!
Re: Allergic to just one rat?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 09:11:13 AM »
I'm very allergic to my single male rat. I've never tried Allegra, but I take otc off-brand Zyrtec every day, and it works well enough. On bad days when he still bothers me, I will take a Benadryl.

deleted

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 09:38:52 AM »
Do you keep them in separate cages? It could very well be an allergy to the bedding or any other dust-producing material in their cage.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 03:26:26 PM »
I'm very allergic to my single male rat. I've never tried Allegra, but I take otc off-brand Zyrtec every day, and it works well enough. On bad days when he still bothers me, I will take a Benadryl.
I'm the same with only one of my lot too. Tiddy is the tiniest one of the lot and the cutest too. I sneeze so much sometimes I hurt for days afterwards. I use British brand Zirtek. It's essentially cetirizine hydrochloride. It works on me as I am allergic to cats and horses also.
Funny thing is I could rub any of the other rats all over my face and it wouldn't bother me. It must be a coat thing I recon.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 03:58:43 PM »
Check to see if your insurance covers scratch tests. You can get one specifically for rats. If that doesn't come up positive, you're likely allergic to something they're getting into. Try clipping their nails and giving them a real good bath, and changing the bedding/toys out?
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:00:37 PM »
Have you tried a cetirizine based antihistamine? It doesn't help with the skin irritation but it stops the sneezing and itching.
I've always found fexofenadine and dyphenhydramine based medicine a bit crappy.
I'm not sure what the brand names are since I get my stuff generic.