Hello Guest
Question about breathing problems.
« on: April 08, 2014, 04:09:13 PM »
I have Boomer, who is 2 years old. She has had heavy breathing problems for a couple of months. The vet started her out on Baytril, which worked fine at first, then started Baytril and Doxyclycine, then some type of steroid. In the past week or two, her breathing has worsen, she is sucking her sides in, and you can hear her almost wheezing. The vet had us stop the Baytril and just do doxyclycine and start on Theophylline. Has anyone else ever used Theophylline? I'm wondering how soon it should start working, today is the second day of use. Thanks for all your help Rattit.
Re: Question about breathing problems.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 12:11:09 AM »
How are you giving the Theophylline? It takes a bit longer to work when given orally, since it has to go through the digestive tract. If you're giving it through injection, it works much faster. If you're nebulizing her, it works even faster.
I've never used it, but my friend who has says it should only take a few days - week if you're giving it orally. Less if by injection.
Random question: Have you checked her out for heart disease? Congestive Heart Failure can show signs of impaired breathing.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 03:28:25 AM »
How are you giving the Theophylline? It takes a bit longer to work when given orally, since it has to go through the digestive tract. If you're giving it through injection, it works much faster. If you're nebulizing her, it works even faster.
I've never used it, but my friend who has says it should only take a few days - week if you're giving it orally. Less if by injection.
Random question: Have you checked her out for heart disease? Congestive Heart Failure can show signs of impaired breathing.
I have been giving it to her orally, today is the second day. We have not checked her out for heart disease.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 03:40:19 AM »
I have been giving it to her orally, today is the second day. We have not checked her out for heart disease.
I would give it a couple more days to see any marked improvement. She should start feeling better before she actually sounds better, if that makes sense.
It's actually sort of difficult to check them for congestive heart failure. Normally you treat them with Lasix, Enalapril, or Atenolol. Theophylline is also used to help, it help increase heart rate and allows for better breathing. So, you're still helping her out, either way. You would need to speak with your vet if there were any contraindications between the different drugs, though, as I'm not sure about what works/goes against what.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 04:19:56 AM »
I would give it a couple more days to see any marked improvement. She should start feeling better before she actually sounds better, if that makes sense.
It's actually sort of difficult to check them for congestive heart failure. Normally you treat them with Lasix, Enalapril, or Atenolol. Theophylline is also used to help, it help increase heart rate and allows for better breathing. So, you're still helping her out, either way. You would need to speak with your vet if there were any contraindications between the different drugs, though, as I'm not sure about what works/goes against what.
Physically, I have seen an improvement in her. She is more active than before, so hopefully the medicine is working.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 10:15:11 AM »
Physically, I have seen an improvement in her. She is more active than before, so hopefully the medicine is working.
I hope you start to see real improvement soon! I know it's hard waiting and watching.