Hello Guest
My clumsy cat has once again given herself a black...
« on: May 05, 2018, 04:34:35 PM »
Hey all.My apparently very clumsy 2 year old kitty, Titanium, has a knack for injuring herself. Over the two years of her life, across two houses, she’s given herself 3 visible black eyes and accompanying scrapes. We’ve never been able to find what she’s hurting herself on, she always seems to do it when we’re not home, or overnight when we’re sleeping. This time, she hopped on the bed to give us her breakfast meows and my partner shook me awake to show me that she was missing a chunk of fur under her eye. A few of these instances healed fine on their own, with us just putting neosporin on the cut, but last year the eye swelled and the vet said it wasn’t infected but in danger of being so, so prescribed an eye drop (Tobramycin-Dexamethasone) 2x a day in the affected eye for a week.
The wound is 5 days old now. Today, she’s blinking a lot and sleeping more than usual, and grooming that side of her face more than usual. Her vet is closed until Monday. Should I try giving her the drops, wait until Monday, or go to the emergency vet ?
I’m uploading images to Imgur for shots of her eye
Thanks guys! I appreciate you!
Re: My clumsy cat has once again given herself a black...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 04:39:12 PM »
Don't use the drops until her eye is checked out. If there is a scratch or an ulcer then the dexamethasone can do more harm.
Re: My clumsy cat has once again given herself a black...
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 05:02:40 PM »
Don't use the drops until her eye is checked out. If there is a scratch or an ulcer then the dexamethasone can do more harm.
Correct. No medication (but this one in particular) should be used without explicit veterinary direction. Go to the ER, eye problems can go bad quickly.