Hello Guest
Shifts in sleeping habits are getting funny ridiculous.
« on: January 27, 2018, 08:35:19 AM »
Hey all, just curious if anyone knows if a single symptom like this is possible, and related to something?
Basically, without Benadryl, I won’t sleep. I feel tired, the “calm mellow” tired ... but I still won’t sleep. It’s not frustrating. It’s a weirdly curious “why doesn’t my brain sleep anymore?”
Sometimes, always when sunrise is coming up ... I can fall asleep for 1-4 hrs.
This has been going on for couple months. Literally no other signs of mania - my first suspect.
Normal sleep for me is 8-9 hours. So, just being tired and not sleeping on 1-3hrs ... that should mean I’m already in deep manic shit right now.
But, I’m not. Neither euphoric nor dysphoric mania. Lithium alone is doing pretty okay-ish :-)
I’m currently only taking Lithium. Besides a little agitation, and need to pace just a little bit ... all the other side effects are pretty much gone.
Anyways, that’s it. No big deal. I’ll keep dosing on Benadryl, every few days. Trying to keep its usage low, as I’m quickly building tolerance to it.
Side note: a week ago, I did end up sleeping 14+ hrs/day for 5 days.
Not sure what that was because of.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: Shifts in sleeping habits are getting funny ridicu...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 01:35:21 PM »
I don't suppose that Benadryl shit is habit-forming? That'd be the easy answer. I take a rarely used antidepressant to make me sleep--if I miss it I'll be waiting hours to get to sleep and it'll be a light sleep.
. . . look, it's prescribed, I swear I'm not addicted
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 01:39:02 PM »
Melatonin helps me sleep really well. Hugs
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 03:01:06 PM »
I’ve been a life long shitty sleeper, mania or not, but I found a routine that works for myself- I have to take a Tylenol pm an hour before I want to go to sleep, use a lavender oil diffuser, play a sleep playlist on my spotify with the timer set to stop playing in 40 minutes, make myself a cup of sleepytime tea, and try to read or draw something sans electronics (the last part is the hardest part for me). I know this sounds like bougie overkill, but it makes bed time a fun time. Instead of like “great can’t wait to lie awake in bed for 6 hours”
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 03:43:32 PM »
I’ve been a life long shitty sleeper, mania or not, but I found a routine that works for myself- I have to take a Tylenol pm an hour before I want to go to sleep, use a lavender oil diffuser, play a sleep playlist on my spotify with the timer set to stop playing in 40 minutes, make myself a cup of sleepytime tea, and try to read or draw something sans electronics (the last part is the hardest part for me). I know this sounds like bougie overkill, but it makes bed time a fun time. Instead of like “great can’t wait to lie awake in bed for 6 hours”
That doesn't sound like overkill at all.  It sounds like a healthy and sensible routine.  One comment though, your Tylenol PM makes you drowsey because of the diphenhydramine it contains.  That's the same thing that is in Benadryl which is what OP has posted about.  If you want to avoid the acetaminophen in the Tylenol, which if it isn't needed isn't good for you, just buy generic diphenhydramine 25mg allergy tablets.  Take however many you need to equal the diphenhydramine in your Tylenol PM.  Probably one or two.  It's also way cheaper than Tylenol PM or Benedryl.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 12:21:51 AM »
I don't suppose that Benadryl shit is habit-forming? That'd be the easy answer. I take a rarely used antidepressant to make me sleep--if I miss it I'll be waiting hours to get to sleep and it'll be a light sleep.
Haha ;-)
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 12:22:28 AM »
Let me guess - Trazodone?
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 12:23:39 AM »
Good idea. It didn’t work in my past, which is why I started using Zzzquil, which I found out was Benadryl and alcohol.
But, my brain is different now. Melatonin is worth a try. Thanks.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 12:24:49 AM »
Agreed. I am similar, except I play the same science documentary over and over, so the soothing and boring repetition knocks me out.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 02:20:46 AM »
As a kid I always used to listen to audio books for sleep. Maybe I should try that again. I guess it probably prevents the rumination that can keep you awake.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 06:06:23 AM »
Same for me
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 03:59:30 PM »
Have you tried exercise? Thats supposed to improve the quality of your sleep but I dont do it because i'm lazy. I have variable sleep patterns, not 1-3 hours per night at sunrise but weird nonetheless. Most nights i'm in bed by 9 or 10. Some nights I drift right off and wake up at like 5 or 6am. Some nights I can't fall asleep and get to bed around 12 or 1 and wake up at 3 or 4am unable to go back to sleep. And sometimes I go sleep at like 9 and sleep right through to 9am. I don't know what causes these variations but yea.
Before medication though I would sleep like you and i'd often take tylenol pm or advil pm or unisom to get to sleep but it didn't always work. So i'd be super drowsy and awake and then the drowsyness would pass and i'd just be up all night and go on with my day. Then i'd crash in the evening. Sometime i'd stay up for like 2 days. Sometimes is triggered hypomania but not always. My sleep started to get weird in high school but got a little better since meds.
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 08:34:41 PM »
Have you tried exercise? Thats supposed to improve the quality of your sleep but I dont do it because i'm lazy. I have variable sleep patterns, not 1-3 hours per night at sunrise but weird nonetheless. Most nights i'm in bed by 9 or 10. Some nights I drift right off and wake up at like 5 or 6am. Some nights I can't fall asleep and get to bed around 12 or 1 and wake up at 3 or 4am unable to go back to sleep. And sometimes I go sleep at like 9 and sleep right through to 9am. I don't know what causes these variations but yea.
Before medication though I would sleep like you and i'd often take tylenol pm or advil pm or unisom to get to sleep but it didn't always work. So i'd be super drowsy and awake and then the drowsyness would pass and i'd just be up all night and go on with my day. Then i'd crash in the evening. Sometime i'd stay up for like 2 days. Sometimes is triggered hypomania but not always. My sleep started to get weird in high school but got a little better since meds.
Amen to exercise and sleep. Miss having a physical labor job. Thanks for the tips.
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 06:16:06 AM »
Certainly Benadryl is habit-forming, along most of the same chemical axes as tricyclic and tetracyclic antidepressants that promote sleep; typically these are centrally anticholinergic which is the same reason Benadryl (diphenhydramine) encourages sleep (and interferes with cognition if taken apart from sleep.)
What I might suggest for keeping sleeping medications (which almost all produce some homeostatic resistance/habit) effective long-term is finding something else that works, with a different mechanism, and using one or the other but not both. This allows one system to shift regulation back to baseline while the other is being used. I am not including benzodiazepines or opioids in that suggestion, since they cannot be put down and exchanged like this.
(Hope you're well, specialMeasure who like me hates dying afternoon sunlight.)
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 12:42:56 PM »
Certainly Benadryl is habit-forming, along most of the same chemical axes as tricyclic and tetracyclic antidepressants that promote sleep; typically these are centrally anticholinergic which is the same reason Benadryl (diphenhydramine) encourages sleep (and interferes with cognition if taken apart from sleep.)
What I might suggest for keeping sleeping medications (which almost all produce some homeostatic resistance/habit) effective long-term is finding something else that works, with a different mechanism, and using one or the other but not both. This allows one system to shift regulation back to baseline while the other is being used. I am not including benzodiazepines or opioids in that suggestion, since they cannot be put down and exchanged like this.
(Hope you're well, specialMeasure who like me hates dying afternoon sunlight.)
Mine still does the job after a couple years, so I won't complain. Coming out of the psych med gauntlet with any prize at all is an enviable condition.
I'm as well as can be expected. Though right now I don't mind the dying sun, reminds me of autumn. I've been running the other gauntlet, heatwaves and dust and weeks of obscene heat until you can't remember what it was like to not be soaked in sweat, no escape, no reprieves. Any hint of change will do.
You know I always wondered "who's looking at my userpage, I know they're there . . ." but in all these years never got any proof. Here it is. What a relief.