Hello Guest
Jogging/treadmill question...Didn't perform as I wanted to.
« on: October 03, 2011, 05:06:23 AM »
Hey guys, first time posting and I wanted to know if you have all experienced it before and how to overcome it.  I finished W6D3 C25K via treadmill without any problems and I went jogging with a couple of friends tonight at around 7:30 and I was not able to maintain jogging speed at all for more than 5 minutes (I was starting and stopping all the way through).  I didn't expect going from indoor to outdoor to be to be that much different, I was aiming for maybe 10 minutes of continuous jogging each interval.  
Anyways, I don't want to make excuses at all I just want to know what's different and how I can more prepare myself for it.  The jog was approximately 2.8 miles. The weather was colder than I am normally used to.  When I finished the lap, my throat and nose was burning and after half an hour or so they both were congested and I was sneezing frequently.  The jogging path is off the side of a four lane road and I live in Houston (bad air quality).
Things I thought of that I need to prepare for, but if you have another idea please add to it:
  • Allergies -  I've taken an alavert afterwards, but my nose and throat are still congested.
  • Weather - It was around 60 tonight
  • Terrain - Though I feel slightly worked out, I don't feel soreness at all in my legs.
  • Conditioning - Not used to breathing fresh air when jogging?
tl;dr:  What can I do to prepare myself to run better outside versus inside?
Re: Jogging/treadmill question...Didn't perform as I wanted to.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 05:51:46 AM »
Here is the problem: it's simple physics:
On a treadmill, you complete each cycle of running (ie 1 foot in front of the other). However, upon placing your forward foot on the belt, the belt essentially does the rest of the work. You place your foot in front of you, and the belt carries it back. All you need to do now is place the other foot in front.
However, when running, that front foot does more than just stick around, waiting for the belt to pull it back. Rather, you need to propel your entire body weight forward. This requires effort...and a lot of it. And that's what that front leg is for.
As a result, you end up more tired. This is completely understandable and everyone feels this. How do you fix this? Your first choice: run outside. Your second choice: raise the inclination of the treadmill. Your third choice (don't do this if you have anything even remotely like a knee problem): light weights while running.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 02:43:38 PM »
Do you own your treadmill?  I find that mine loses its incline calibration over time (and goes into a decline!) so I try to reset it every now and then.
I keep it set for 1% incline during my jogs to try and compensate for it being easier than running outside.  I guess the higher the better but I'm pretty happy with my workouts right now.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 04:37:40 PM »
Here is the problem: it's simple physics:
On a treadmill, you complete each cycle of running (ie 1 foot in front of the other). However, upon placing your forward foot on the belt, the belt essentially does the rest of the work. You place your foot in front of you, and the belt carries it back. All you need to do now is place the other foot in front.
However, when running, that front foot does more than just stick around, waiting for the belt to pull it back. Rather, you need to propel your entire body weight forward. This requires effort...and a lot of it. And that's what that front leg is for.
As a result, you end up more tired. This is completely understandable and everyone feels this. How do you fix this? Your first choice: run outside. Your second choice: raise the inclination of the treadmill. Your third choice (don't do this if you have anything even remotely like a knee problem): light weights while running.
Thanks for the reply!  I'm going to start adding additional days jogging outside in addition to adding an incline to the treadmill.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 04:40:36 PM »
Do you own your treadmill?  I find that mine loses its incline calibration over time (and goes into a decline!) so I try to reset it every now and then.
I keep it set for 1% incline during my jogs to try and compensate for it being easier than running outside.  I guess the higher the better but I'm pretty happy with my workouts right now.
Yup, I always ran flat so I guess it is time to push myself even more.  I was hoping that distance on a treadmill will up my cardio enough to handle the outdoors.  
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 08:12:55 PM »
Yup, I always ran flat so I guess it is time to push myself even more.  I was hoping that distance on a treadmill will up my cardio enough to handle the outdoors.  
It should definitely help!  Aside from just the need to propel yourself forward physically your body also has to compensate for left/right slope, incline, decline, and hole avoidance.  Plus this new sensation of going forward is really exciting and may elevate your heart rate.  ;)  
I'm looking forward to doing some outdoor running myself but I've been happy with the treadmill so far.