Hello Guest
Wish me luck. Outta prison, into sobriety.
« on: May 09, 2018, 09:19:12 AM »
I have been in prison in Denmark for the last few months for drunkenly throwing bricks at the police during a demonstration. I get out in a couple of months and plan on giving the sobriety a try. Have been drinking nonstop for the last 8 years (24 now) and it just keeps getting heavier. I haven't been sober for more than two weeks since I was 15 (minus my time in prison). We get to leave every few weeks to see our family and friends while we are locked up and I find myself repeating old patterns instantly even though I thought I had been 'cured' after being sober in prison so long. This time I plan to use medicine that will make me sick if I have a drink. Does anyone have experience with this? Also checking into some outpatient programs and looking into other support groups. Any advice on getting sober?It has been very difficult for me because I am very active in the punk subculture here and a lot of these people are equally broken/it is so commonly accepted to be an alcoholic in Denmark (especially in this scene).Wish me luck and best of luck to all you other boozers out there!
Re: Wish me luck. Outta prison, into sobriety.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 09:42:01 AM »
hanging out with friends that are trashed on booze/drugs is an eyeopener when trying to clean up and maybee not as fun as you remember it beaing. we all move on in different directions so it can work out or not. if you go with antabus its still up to you to decide if you wanna really stop drinking or just wait for the dose to wear off or try a bit early. its all in the head at the end but you get an extra little devil to overcome for a week or so.
så ät en pölse och sluta kasta sten danskjävel. lycka till.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 10:44:39 AM »
Look into Naltrexone, too. It’s different from antabuse. It kills the cravings and desire to get blitzed, but you can still drink on it it. Most people who take it find themselves drinking less and less naturally. It’s worth some research. Especially since I believe it isn’t nearly so hard on your system as atabuse is whether you drink or not. Antabuse can fuck some shit up all on its own.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 12:46:43 PM »
It’s good to,learn some tools to help you cope with sobriety. In person support also helps a lot. I believe SMART recovery had some meetings in Denmark. Don’t know where you’ll be or where those meetings are held but I would encourage you to also look at that.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 02:10:48 PM »
Im on the same pills as you (guessing you're on disulphiram) and they work hella well if you actually take them every day. Knowing that I'll be fucking sick and vomit up whatever alcohol—or even get hospitalized—defuses whatever cravings I have. Trust me when I say you don't want to drink on that shit. After that though, you still have all them character defects to deal with so therapy, groups, etc. are useful for changing your dry drunk ways. Good luck with it man, I'm in almost exactly the same situation as you, and before they put me away I had given up all hope. My friends still get faded around me, but there's something weirdly amusing about being the only sober alcoholic in the room
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 02:19:55 PM »
If you're in Copenhagen I visted a little sober club there you could hang out in with other Danes who are not drinking. Let me know if you want the address. The antabuse may allow you to get going irl without temptation for a while, and I think is a worthy move while you get your feet under you.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 02:47:51 PM »
I second Infiniteblur's suggestion. The problem with antabuse is that it isn't design to cut the craving and you may try to "game" it and drink on it, which is very dangerous. Drinking on Naltrexone slowly cuts away at the addiction until you honestly don't care much about alcohol anymore, like you were before you got addicted to it. This is called Targeted Naltrexone or The Sinclair Method. It's part of the NICE protocol for reducing overdrinking. Using coping skills with it is a good plan that can help to accelerate your results. If you haven't been drinking for a while but feel the urge to drink, that can be an excellent time to start it.  https://www.the-sinclair-method.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 02:49:07 PM »
  • Antabuse will make you fucking sick, like really sick. A sip is enough. If you want to cold turkey and bot touch it ever again, this is a good thing.
  • Naltrexone, doesn't make you sick, but it removes the "reward" of drinking and helps with craving.
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 08:17:16 AM »
If you're in Copenhagen I visted a little sober club there you could hang out in with other Danes who are not drinking. Let me know if you want the address. The antabuse may allow you to get going irl without temptation for a while, and I think is a worthy move while you get your feet under you.
Yeah! Could you send me the address? Thanks so much!
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 08:18:14 AM »
Look into Naltrexone, too. It’s different from antabuse. It kills the cravings and desire to get blitzed, but you can still drink on it it. Most people who take it find themselves drinking less and less naturally. It’s worth some research. Especially since I believe it isn’t nearly so hard on your system as atabuse is whether you drink or not. Antabuse can fuck some shit up all on its own.
Looks like a couple of others are suggesting the same thing. I will look into it. Very confused how it can kill the desire so much, but interested to give it a try.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 08:19:48 AM »
Im on the same pills as you (guessing you're on disulphiram) and they work hella well if you actually take them every day. Knowing that I'll be fucking sick and vomit up whatever alcohol—or even get hospitalized—defuses whatever cravings I have. Trust me when I say you don't want to drink on that shit. After that though, you still have all them character defects to deal with so therapy, groups, etc. are useful for changing your dry drunk ways. Good luck with it man, I'm in almost exactly the same situation as you, and before they put me away I had given up all hope. My friends still get faded around me, but there's something weirdly amusing about being the only sober alcoholic in the room
Did you feel you lost a lot of friends after going through with sobriety? Like the people you pretty much were your 'party' crowd? Maybe they don't find you so fun anymore or think you are on a high horse?
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 08:33:25 AM »
Thanks for the replys everybody! I really appreciate it. I am looking into Naltrexone when I get out. It sounds almost too good to be true hahah. Thank you all so much I wouldn't have found this without you, and I hope it helps me get where I want to be!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 01:58:18 PM »
Did you feel you lost a lot of friends after going through with sobriety? Like the people you pretty much were your 'party' crowd? Maybe they don't find you so fun anymore or think you are on a high horse?
Not at all, they knew how much the substances were killing me and how miserable and hopeless I was. If anything they were happy I got clean and sober. Fools think I'm more fun now that I'm not out of my god damn mind all the time
I lost far more friends while I was using. One time this girl said "you're more fun on heroin than you are on alcohol." If you ever hear that sentence directed at you, you are fucking up
Edit: And i'm still able to go out to bars, especially with the people I would only see in bars. The only difference is now I'll be mainlining coffee instead of beer. I feel like now that I'm sober, we're actually doing cooler shit like going to baseball games or grind shows, since I'm not dead ass broke all the time. When I go to parties I just bring my own non alcoholic shit and a couple packs of cigarettes. Disulphiram is great because of how it basically threatens your cravings away
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 08:15:11 AM »
Not at all, they knew how much the substances were killing me and how miserable and hopeless I was. If anything they were happy I got clean and sober. Fools think I'm more fun now that I'm not out of my god damn mind all the time
I lost far more friends while I was using. One time this girl said "you're more fun on heroin than you are on alcohol." If you ever hear that sentence directed at you, you are fucking up
Edit: And i'm still able to go out to bars, especially with the people I would only see in bars. The only difference is now I'll be mainlining coffee instead of beer. I feel like now that I'm sober, we're actually doing cooler shit like going to baseball games or grind shows, since I'm not dead ass broke all the time. When I go to parties I just bring my own non alcoholic shit and a couple packs of cigarettes. Disulphiram is great because of how it basically threatens your cravings away
Thanks for the reply man! That gave me a lot of hope. I am an extremely social person (sometimes too much so) and I was scared of losing touch with a lot of my drinking buddies. Mind over matter I guess.I was blessed to be a fairly happy drunk, but I can see that it is not doing good for me. So to continue being a huge ball of energy at a bar setting would be ideal.
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 01:13:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply man! That gave me a lot of hope. I am an extremely social person (sometimes too much so) and I was scared of losing touch with a lot of my drinking buddies. Mind over matter I guess.I was blessed to be a fairly happy drunk, but I can see that it is not doing good for me. So to continue being a huge ball of energy at a bar setting would be ideal.
Just be sure to be open minded with the meds they give you. Not everyone responds the same way to them (obviously). Naltrexone worked well for me for a moment but it allowed me to keep alienating myself in my alcoholic routines. On disulphiram, I don't even have to think about alcohol anymore because I already know I can't have it, so my energy isn't being wasted worrying about trying to get a drink. Good luck dude, I wish you the best