Hello Guest
Feeling disillusioned with weight management therapy
« on: November 17, 2017, 11:58:13 PM »
Hi!
I'm quite nervous to post but I've decided to bite the bullet! I've been lurking on here and enjoying all of your inspirational stories for almost half a year now. So much so, I decided enough was enough and decided to start my own weight loss journey with CICO in mind. With a starting weight of 286lb, I decided to go to my GP and explain my plans to lose weight. There I was informed of gastric band surgery and fat-binding medications which I didn't want to try (at least without making a good go of CICO) So instead I was referred to weight management services.
My first meeting with them was in July. Here, I had just finished uni for the semester and all my activity levels were based on that. I had showed them what I eat like on plan and they told me I was on the right lines with nutrition and to start doing the couch-5k programme as well as 1-2 fitness classes per week, as well as using my fitness pal. I also was told I had vitamin D deficiency and what was described as "a sicky thyroid."
This was a really positive start for me, and a week in, I finally got confirmation of working 30 hours a week as a casual support worker. I still followed CICO (500 calorie deficit) and MFP, but struggled to motivate myself to go to the gym after working all day (maybe an excuse but I was getting about 9-15,000 steps per day in.)
By September, I managed to lose 21lb and felt really good about my progress but also knew with uni starting again things would start to slow down/stop altogether. I decided to start my couch-5k training properly and so started making good progress. I started back at uni and my casual work went to 12 hours a week.
It was all going well until I hurt my foot and needed to rest it. Add that to the influx of assignments and I wasn't as strict as I had been over the summer. I initially hit a bit of a plateau before gaining about 4-5lb (Still an overall loss of 16-17lb). No big deal, I know where it went wrong and plan to rectify it and get back on plan.
So this is where my latest appointment with the dietitian comes in. Because of my gain her attitude to me has totally changed. She began to speak to me negatively, telling me about portion sizes, fat content of food and told me I should seriously consider the fat binding medication and that I need to lose at least a dress size before my next appointment in January.
I've always planned to take a more positive approach towards my weight loss, that it is not a linear process and to accept the ups and downs as they are. I am aware that my BMI is high and of all the hazards surrounding that. I just believe being entirely restrictive will just demotivate me more. I am happy with things at the moment and trying a mindful approach. After all I'm doing this because I love my body, not to punish myself or because I hate it.
Also I am really against the medication (Orlistat/Xenical), I have GORD and the side effects of the medication just sound too uncomfortable for me.
I'm seriously contemplating doing it without the weight management team and doing it on my own as I don't find it gives me much, and I find the way I was spoken to quite offputting. I know myself quite well and I'm quite reflective and honest with myself.
I guess I'm feeling quite upset and have a few questions for you all.
  • Am I in denial for believing in a more mindful approach?
  • Has anyone taken Orlistat/Xenical? Any pros? Cons?
  • Should I explore my options in leaving my weight management treatment or am I just being overly impulsive/irrational?
  • Anybody got anything to say that I may have overlooked?
TL,DR - Planned to make changes to my lifestyle, Started a CICO diet with dietitian's approval, lost a good amount of weight in 3 months until a few "bad" weeks where I put a bit back on. Got spoken to in a way that made me uncomfortable and now thinking of trying it on my own?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 03:58:06 PM by admin »
Re: Feeling disillusioned with weight management therapy
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 02:46:39 AM »
Wow your dietician is strict! It’s great that she wants positive results for you but if you don’t want to medicate you do not have to! And you should make that really clear to her cuz it kinda sounds like she’s being a tad pushy, you did really well already!! You could do that again if you put your mind to it! Medication can help with weight loss but no one should shit themselves thin.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 04:29:49 AM »
Hey there! Congratulations on starting your journey to a healthier self and your weight loss already! It sounds like you have a good idea of what you are doing, and this weight loss team sounds like they aren't really being all that helpful. So I would say go ahead and try it on your own for a bit. But set some boundaries, like if you get to a certain weight you will check back in with the team. That said you can't out run your fork. So even with an injury setting you back in the fitness aspect, you can continue to lose weight by eating at a deficit. What do you have your activity level set to on MFP? I keep mine at lightly active even though I average 11,000 steps a day and run 3-4x/week. If by the end of the day I feel like I need a bit more, I'll try to eat something with protein as opposed to just whatever sounds good. If I'm not hungry for the protein, I'm not hungry for fluff. Being in school would definitely be a challenge, but I'm sure you can overcome it! Know what will work for you. Tend to snack? Make sure to have pre-weighed and packed snacks ready to go. Tend to overeat at night? Budget your calories accordingly, I like to log a dessert/snack I plan to have in the evening when I log my breakfast. That way when you get to the end of the day you have already accounted for your snack! The other advice I can give to keep you going on your own is to stay active on this site and always track! Get a food scale, if you don't already have one, and weigh everything you eat. I really find weighing things is sooo much nicer and easier than using measuring cups/spoons. A weight loss journey is often a very personal thing, so if the team isn't working, try it on your own. I'm very competitive, so I would take this as a challenge to show them you are strong enough to do this on your own, without meds, because you are!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 04:33:05 AM »
Based on what you've written it sounds like you have a really positive attitude and are going at this in a mindful and body-respecting way, which I think is great. Is it possible to switch to a different dietician since she's the one negatively affecting you? I've had dietitians in the past who were nothing but kind and supportive of my efforts so I know they're out there :) Good luck!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 10:52:03 AM »
Wow your dietician is strict! It’s great that she wants positive results for you but if you don’t want to medicate you do not have to! And you should make that really clear to her cuz it kinda sounds like she’s being a tad pushy, you did really well already!! You could do that again if you put your mind to it! Medication can help with weight loss but no one should shit themselves thin.
Thank you for replying! That is exactly what I was thinking, I know that I've been a bit lazy with it and getting back on track will definitely sort me out. I've missed going to the gym so I'm starting back there next week and also missed eating like I did, both financially and speaking in terms of my GORD. I really do dislike the idea of the side effects for the medication. Think I will speak to her a bit more firmly next time!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 11:08:42 AM »
Hey there! Congratulations on starting your journey to a healthier self and your weight loss already! It sounds like you have a good idea of what you are doing, and this weight loss team sounds like they aren't really being all that helpful. So I would say go ahead and try it on your own for a bit. But set some boundaries, like if you get to a certain weight you will check back in with the team. That said you can't out run your fork. So even with an injury setting you back in the fitness aspect, you can continue to lose weight by eating at a deficit. What do you have your activity level set to on MFP? I keep mine at lightly active even though I average 11,000 steps a day and run 3-4x/week. If by the end of the day I feel like I need a bit more, I'll try to eat something with protein as opposed to just whatever sounds good. If I'm not hungry for the protein, I'm not hungry for fluff. Being in school would definitely be a challenge, but I'm sure you can overcome it! Know what will work for you. Tend to snack? Make sure to have pre-weighed and packed snacks ready to go. Tend to overeat at night? Budget your calories accordingly, I like to log a dessert/snack I plan to have in the evening when I log my breakfast. That way when you get to the end of the day you have already accounted for your snack! The other advice I can give to keep you going on your own is to stay active on this site and always track! Get a food scale, if you don't already have one, and weigh everything you eat. I really find weighing things is sooo much nicer and easier than using measuring cups/spoons. A weight loss journey is often a very personal thing, so if the team isn't working, try it on your own. I'm very competitive, so I would take this as a challenge to show them you are strong enough to do this on your own, without meds, because you are!
Thank you for taking the time to reply :-) I think I'm gonna keep going (it's only once every six weeks) but if things get too negative then I will take a step back. I am planning to get back on it ASAP and I think with an ankle support my foot should be allright- if not then I'll leave it a bit longer and eat less. My MFP is also on lightly active and then tracks the extra exercise with my Apple Watch.
What kind of protein do you eat? I've noticed my protein levels usually end up lower than the target. I really like your idea of pre-weighing snacks I hadn't thought of that. I also really appreciate the idea of saving calories for a dessert! I am quite guilty of nibbling here and there, I have a food scale that I love! It was surprising to see the differences between what I thought something weighed and what the scale said it was.
I agree with your last paragraph as well, weight loss is personal which is why I think I was so emotional as she seemed to take a one size fits all approach, seeing me as more of a statistic than a person. I myself just want to prove her wrong, that I will continue to keep going without the medication. Some people take it and do really well with it and I appreciate that, but at this moment I want to see what I and my grit are capable of!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 11:16:36 AM »
Based on what you've written it sounds like you have a really positive attitude and are going at this in a mindful and body-respecting way, which I think is great. Is it possible to switch to a different dietician since she's the one negatively affecting you? I've had dietitians in the past who were nothing but kind and supportive of my efforts so I know they're out there :) Good luck!
Thanks for the reply!
I'm not sure, there is a team but I think they're quite understaffed and underfunded. (NHS) In my first meeting I met two dietitians but now only see this one. I really warmed to the other lady but she is apparently on leave. I don't know much of any other services in my town but I'm guessing there won't be much. I can imagine there are a lot of kind dieticians, you'd imagine empathy would be top of the list of desirable qualities for the profession?