Hello Guest
Congestive heart failure in my 11yr old tux. He’s not eating.
« on: February 28, 2018, 05:28:19 AM »
I’m really messed up rn. My baby was diagnosed with congestive heart failure almost two weeks ago. He was doing really good on his heart meds for a few days before he regressed. The fluid around his heart and lungs is going away and he had to have an injection of lasix after a breathing episode yesterday. His vet says his kidney levels are high and he might be avoiding food because his tummy aches from the meds. Hes lost a pound since we went to the doctor last week. He’s on  Lasix, an anti coagulant, a hunger stimulator, pepcide and something else. He drinks lots of water and uses his box still. However, he won’t eat. I tried adding tuna and warming up his wet food but he’ll sniff it and maybe take one bite but won’t chow down like he use to. Tomorrow I’m going to buy the cat food he’s not suppose to have but loves and maybe add a little fresh chicken to it? Someone on his insta suggested CBD oil and I’m just waiting for payday Thursday to buy it. He has such a sad look on his face, he would be so much better if he would just eat. I’m not ready to lose him but 5-6 pills seems like a lot for a cat. Idk, I guess I’m just looking for some support since my bf kinda sucks rn. Anyone have any success stories to share? He’s my first pet that is all mine and I love him so much.
Edit:Thanks everyone. I had half a bottle of wine last night and was feeling really alone in his illness. He is doing much better this morning! Meowing in my face and leading me to his bowl. I gave him new wet food and some dry food and he ate a good portion. His new meds seem to be working. Thanks again.
Re: Congestive heart failure in my 11yr old tux. He’s not eating.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 05:56:36 AM »
One of my cats was diagnosed with the same heart condition after having emergency surgery last spring. It was intense and scary! He had three cardiac episodes at home- post surgery- before we figured out what was happening. The lasix works wonders. Don't give him any more tuna - it has salt in it and is working against the lasix. Make sure you keep the litterbox really clean because he is gonna pee ALOT. My baby needed as much extra cuddles as he could get and clung to me, purring, for weeks.  It has been almost a year now, and the vet can only hear the murmur when he is stressed. He's been off the lasix but on heart meds still since Halloween. I still watch him for signs of congestion but I haven't noticed anything. Keeping a log of his meds and any weird symptoms helped keep me sane. He seems like his usual weird self now.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 06:00:15 AM »
One of my cats was diagnosed with the same heart condition after having emergency surgery last spring. It was intense and scary! He had three cardiac episodes at home- post surgery- before we figured out what was happening. The lasix works wonders. Don't give him any more tuna - it has salt in it and is working against the lasix. Make sure you keep the litterbox really clean because he is gonna pee ALOT. My baby needed as much extra cuddles as he could get and clung to me, purring, for weeks.  It has been almost a year now, and the vet can only hear the murmur when he is stressed. He's been off the lasix but on heart meds still since Halloween. I still watch him for signs of congestion but I haven't noticed anything. Keeping a log of his meds and any weird symptoms helped keep me sane. He seems like his usual weird self now.
Thank you. My baby is really clingy too but not jumping so I go down to him on the floor a lot. Before getting sick he wouldn’t like to be picked up and was vocal about it, now it’s like he doesn’t care and doesn’t make a peep. I hope he can pull through too
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 06:01:45 AM »
Also try putting a small amout of wet food on the end of a spoon and sticking a pill inside. This worked even when he wasnt hungry... the little stinker loved being spoon fed. Now i just use a small piece of american cheese and make a cheese/pill ball that he thinks is some kind of fancy cheese krunchiez
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 06:33:08 AM »
Do not give CBD oil without consulting the veterinarian. Your cat is ill and you don't know if there are any cross reactions that can occur with his other medications
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 08:48:27 AM »
You say his kidney values are high - I had a dog with kidney trouble, here are a couple of things that were part of what I learned:
  • Kidney trouble causes nausea and/or acidity.  That's probably why your vet has your cat on Pepcid, that's exactly what was prescribed for my dog, too.
  • Also, high protein diet/foods (like tuna and chicken) put more strain on the kidneys.
So, before you get that food he's not supposed to have, and add fresh chicken to it, it might be a good idea to check with the vet.  If those foods are too high in protein, his stomach could end up feeling worse due to the extra strain on his kidneys.
A couple of things I'd be inclined to ask the vet about to make the food a little more enticing would be a little melted butter, or a little heavy whipping cream.  No protein in either, so maybe they would be allowed...
Good luck!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 10:34:09 AM »
You say his kidney values are high - I had a dog with kidney trouble, here are a couple of things that were part of what I learned:
  • Kidney trouble causes nausea and/or acidity.  That's probably why your vet has your cat on Pepcid, that's exactly what was prescribed for my dog, too.
  • Also, high protein diet/foods (like tuna and chicken) put more strain on the kidneys.
So, before you get that food he's not supposed to have, and add fresh chicken to it, it might be a good idea to check with the vet.  If those foods are too high in protein, his stomach could end up feeling worse due to the extra strain on his kidneys.
A couple of things I'd be inclined to ask the vet about to make the food a little more enticing would be a little melted butter, or a little heavy whipping cream.  No protein in either, so maybe they would be allowed...
Good luck!
But both will cause further digestion issues.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 12:23:35 PM »
My kitty had his first episode about 6 months ago and is on 3 heart medications + atopica a day. It was really hard to administer until a vet tech showed us a good way to give him his meds.I put his meds in to gel capsules. His 3 heart medications all fit into 1 capsule and it's much, much easier to administer.I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's so scary and it's so unfair.
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 02:43:16 PM »
Do not give CBD oil without consulting the veterinarian. Your cat is ill and you don't know if there are any cross reactions that can occur with his other medications
Thanks, his vet is calling today and I’m going to ask
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 09:33:43 PM »
But both will cause further digestion issues.
They might.
Could work out ok if just a little bit is added.  
I hope (as suggested in my first comment) OP checks all these ideas with the vet.