Hello Guest
Re: Need advice on food poisoning
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 12:24:58 AM »
do you recommend taking them before eating anything?
Cipro will make you miserable. MISERABLE. Don't think of it as a get out of jail free card. Think of it as your last resort or I'm going to be hospitalized choice. Seriously, it kills everything. Good and bad bacteria. It's like a bomb detonation and then your system has to completely reset. If you have to take it, your vacation is likely going to be seriously hampered, so don't get panicky and take it if you're just a little twitchy about an off meal or a queasy stomach. I took it in India and the side effects were almost more miserable than the sickness, and the food poisoning was so bad that I thought I was going to need to go to an Indian hospital.  Not saying don't bring it just in case, but definitely do what others suggest first. Bring pepto caplets and Imodium to start with. Don't drink the water or eat anything that hasn't been cooked. Also avoid cut fruit. Stick with stuff that has skins in tact so you can wash it yourself or peel it yourself.  
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 01:39:29 AM »
do you recommend taking them before eating anything?
Do not take any anti-diarrhea meds prophylactically!!! You'll just make yourself constipated and miserable.
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018, 05:14:25 AM »
Do not take any anti-diarrhea meds prophylactically!!! You'll just make yourself constipated and miserable.
ah i see
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2018, 05:14:57 AM »
Cipro will make you miserable. MISERABLE. Don't think of it as a get out of jail free card. Think of it as your last resort or I'm going to be hospitalized choice. Seriously, it kills everything. Good and bad bacteria. It's like a bomb detonation and then your system has to completely reset. If you have to take it, your vacation is likely going to be seriously hampered, so don't get panicky and take it if you're just a little twitchy about an off meal or a queasy stomach. I took it in India and the side effects were almost more miserable than the sickness, and the food poisoning was so bad that I thought I was going to need to go to an Indian hospital.  Not saying don't bring it just in case, but definitely do what others suggest first. Bring pepto caplets and Imodium to start with. Don't drink the water or eat anything that hasn't been cooked. Also avoid cut fruit. Stick with stuff that has skins in tact so you can wash it yourself or peel it yourself.  
yeah haha I wasn't going to take an antibacterial. kind of a silly advice
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 05:15:12 AM »
Charcoal pills from a pharmacy.  A pharmacist suggested them for my mother when she ate bad seafood, worked a real treat.  
did she take them before she ate the seafood or after?
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2018, 05:15:24 AM »
Immodium only treats the symptom, not the underlying cause, what really works is activated charcoal tablets by the handful. If you'll end up needing ciprofloxacin, you will want to see a doctor anyways, so don't self-treat yourself with that stuff.
Otherwise just the standard advice to improve your chances: bottled water for everything, watch that water doesn't get into your mouth in the shower, no ice in drinks or unpeeled fruit that was probably washed in running water.
what does charcoal tablets really do?
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 05:15:43 AM »
Drink bottled water, don't eat anything uncooked like salad, avoid buffets, and don't put citrus rinds in your drink.
noooo the buffets???? i love buffets :(  
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 05:37:01 AM »
Like everyone else says, I just carry some Imodium for when it happens.
But I also recommend carrying some dissolving mulit vitamins, like Berocca or Emergen-C, since dehydration is the end result of getting the shits.
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2018, 08:40:44 AM »
did she take them before she ate the seafood or after?
After. I'm not saying those pills are miracle workers but my mother swears by them and she did indeed recover quite quickly with them.
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 02:28:20 PM »
noooo the buffets???? i love buffets :(  
It does depend on the buffet and how often the food is replaced. Hotel buffets are usually a bad idea. If the buffet is very busy, then it's probably safer because the food is being replaced often. Check out the book How to Shit Around the World. It's full of tips on how to avoid traveler's diarrhea.
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2018, 02:19:38 AM »
It does depend on the buffet and how often the food is replaced. Hotel buffets are usually a bad idea. If the buffet is very busy, then it's probably safer because the food is being replaced often. Check out the book How to Shit Around the World. It's full of tips on how to avoid traveler's diarrhea.
its a resort. but yea i understand your point