Hello Guest
I am a white male and was involved in an orgy SUNDAY night. I gave and received oral sex and fingered a woman (unprotected). I can't recall if I touched myself after fingering the woman. I am concerned that I might have contracted STDs. I scoured the internet yesterday and decided to treat myself for the most common STDs. On MONDAY evening, I acquired Zithromax pills and took a 2000mg single dose orally. I also took a 250mg dose of Cipro. I took the Zithromax to cover possible chlamydia. I took the Cipro to cover possible gonorrhea. And I heard that a one time 2000mg does of Zithromax could cover syphilis as well.
My big question is this: Since I am unaware if I was actually exposed to any STDs, and haven't been tested yet, was it a bad idea to take those medicines? Should I have waited longer to take the medicines? My exposure was on Sunday evening, and I took the medicines on Monday evening (roughly 24 hours following exposure). Was this too early to take the medicines. Are the medicines ineffective since I took them roughly 24 hours after exposure? If I was exposed, would the medicines I took kill the STDs I took the medicines for or for whatever reasons are the viruses just hanging out in my body waiting a couple days and I should take meds again? Did I mess up the timing here?  Please, please, please advise. Cheers.
My stats: 1.9 meters, 77kg, Male, White, no medical conditions or allergies.
I acquired Zithromax pills and took a 2000mg single dose orally. I also took a 250mg dose of Cipro. I took the Zithromax to cover possible chlamydia. I took the Cipro to cover possible gonorrhea. And I heard that a one time 2000mg does of Zithromax could cover syphilis as well.
This was a huge no-no..
Did I mess up the timing here?
You messed up by having unprotected sex, and taking these meds without a physician's approval in the first place.

I can speak with confidence that no medical professional here worth 2 cents will advise you to self-medicate with prescription medications.
How did you "acquire" these antibiotics? How do you know what you got was actually what you were told it was?
Regardless you shouldn't take any antibiotics or any prescriptions for that matter without seeing a physician first.

Before you do anything else to yourself. See a physician and get a proper STD test (which you should do annually anyway)
This was a huge no-no..

You messed up by having unprotected sex, and taking these meds without a physician's approval in the first place.

I can speak with confidence that no medical professional here worth 2 cents will advise you to self-medicate with prescription medications.
How did you "acquire" these antibiotics? How do you know what you got was actually what you were told it was?
Regardless you shouldn't take any antibiotics or any prescriptions for that matter without seeing a physician first.

Before you do anything else to yourself. See a physician and get a proper STD test (which you should do annually anyway)
I am going to see a doctor today. I will inform them of what I did and took. But I am curious what the effect of the drugs I took would be on the chlamydia and gonorrhea I might have exposed myself to. I do know the drugs I took were the actual ones I spoke of. Would you mind entertaining my question in the mean time?
But I am curious what the effect of the drugs I took would be on the chlamydia and gonorrhea I might have exposed myself to.
But see that is the thing. A test in needed to indicated what antibiotics you need, at what strength, and for how long to continue your treatment. I with zero clinical information about you, and the fact that you haven't tested positive for any bacterial infection yet I wouldn't prescribe you anything.
Were you even experiencing any symptoms before popping these pills...?
But see that is the thing. A test in needed to indicated what antibiotics you need, at what strength, and for how long to continue your treatment. I with zero clinical information about you, and the fact that you haven't tested positive for any bacterial infection yet I wouldn't prescribe you anything.
Were you even experiencing any symptoms before popping these pills...?
Hello eddenn05. I agree with your statements and your recommendation to prescribe nothing. My question was hypothetical. I went to the doctor today and got a full std test. I told him that I took the 2000mg of zithromax and asked if taking that medicine following exposure to the Chlamydia would have eliminated it. He answered YES, it would eliminate it, if I was in fact exposed to it. He answered my question. I don't have to worry about developing Chlamydia now because if I was exposed to it, it was completely wiped out by the dosage of Zithromax I took. This is what I was told. As for any other potential stds, we will see what my std check comes back with. I appreciate you responding to my post. I will update with more information when I get it.
Hello eddenn05. I agree with your statements and your recommendation to prescribe nothing. My question was hypothetical. I went to the doctor today and got a full std test. I told him that I took the 2000mg of zithromax and asked if taking that medicine following exposure to the Chlamydia would have eliminated it. He answered YES, it would eliminate it, if I was in fact exposed to it. He answered my question. I don't have to worry about developing Chlamydia now because if I was exposed to it, it was completely wiped out by the dosage of Zithromax I took. This is what I was told. As for any other potential stds, we will see what my std check comes back with. I appreciate you responding to my post. I will update with more information when I get it.
Glad to hear it!
I knew taking such large doses would help, but that wasn't what I wanted to convey. I wanted to convey the importance of not taking prescription medications without a physician's reference.
Glad to hear it!
I knew taking such large doses would help, but that wasn't what I wanted to convey. I wanted to convey the importance of not taking prescription medications without a physician's reference.
I definitely hear ya! And now I am realizing the negative effects of taking such a large dose of Zithromax. Looks like I have a mild yeast infection.